Wednesday, August 26, 2009

As I age...

I am growing increasingly aware of my surroundings as a human. Hu-man. (It begins to sound strange if you repeat it enough times). Yes. I am odd. Something else about myself that I've noted as I've grown.

Life, for as complex as general society makes it out to be, is actually very simplistic in nature (as those who have been enlightened well know). Our point is to just live. Not just humans, but every other species that inhabits this planet. For some living means survival; for others, it simply means reaching their philosophical peak. Regardless, how inherently simple is that? Do what you want. If you have to fight to do that, make that your point, or rather "what you want".

I used to think we all had some pre-destined purpose for even exisisting. During the past few years observing the populus that surrounds me, I've found that to be a gross impossibility. We aren't pre-destined to do shit. Pardon my bluntless, as I am having difficulty coming to terms with this new realization. I mean, I've spent the majority of my life relishing the fact that I may be destined to save the world someday.

What I overlooked most of my life, was that if destiny/fate, etc. were indeed what determined our lives on this planet- then I could just as easily be pre-destined to become a serial killer, child abuser, or the worst person who ever existed. I would have no choice, as it would be my destiny. I suppose there is something pretty damn comforting in knowing that I have a choice now.

With this new philosophical outlook on life, I am slowly (very slowly) moving towards the understanding that I have full control of who I am, and what I will become. I can be that "superhero", and I can prevent the ghastly future of me becoming the worst person to ever exist. I suppose I should just embrace full control, and not continue to let it intimidate me and overrun my life.

No comments: